- Ryan Leaf: There was a lot of talk between two quarterbacks in the 1998 draft that were going to be the next big thing(s). One was Peyton Manning. The other? Ryan Leaf, who turned out to be one of the most notorious busts in NFL history. In fact, NFL Top 10 rated him as the biggest draft bust in NFL history. He has a career completion percentage of 48.4%. He's also thrown 14 touchdowns and 36 interceptions in his short career. Then there's this outrageous, yet hilarious outburst from Ryan Leaf.
- Johnny Manziel: I think it's safe to say that Johnny Football's a draft bust. The former Heisman Trophy winner hasn't been able to steer away from trouble, having recently been indicted in an alleged assault of his ex-girlfriend. He's also been known to be one of the biggest party animals out there, posting photos of his escapades on his Instagram account.
- Akili Smith: Drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the first round of the 1999 draft (third overall), Smith has big things expected from him in Cincinnati. However, his failure to grasp the Bengals' playbook and contract disputes cut into his time with the Bengals. In his 17 games with Cincinnati, he's thrown five touchdown passes to go with 13 interceptions and a QB Rating of 52.8.
- Most of Cleveland's 1st Round Draft Picks Dating Back to 1999: Johnny Manziel's included in this. In that same 1999 draft, the Cleveland Browns selected Tim Couch from Kentucky. Couch played four years with Cleveland before being cut (he finished his career with 64 touchdowns and 67 interceptions). Trent Richardson (2012) hasn't been able to find any holes and can barely find work in the NFL. Brady Quinn's (2007) now a color commentator for FOX. Courtney Brown (No. 1 overall in 2000!) only played six seasons at defensive end before calling it a career. It's safe to say that Cleveland hasn't been able to work a draft successfully in the past couple decades.
- JaMarcus Russell: Despite finishing 21-4 in his collegiate career with LSU, Russell hadn't been able to find success in the NFL. Only playing three seasons in the NFL with Oakland, Russell's problems included weight issues, holding out on training camp, poor play, and getting arrested for possession of codeine syrup. He's tried to make an NFL comeback in recent years.
Wednesday, April 27, 2016
NFL's Worst Draft Busts
It's the week of the NFL Draft, which means that there's going to be a lot of Mel Kiper and draft analysis on your televisions. Who will fill what needs for their teams? Who will be the breakout star as a rookie? Who will be a bust? Speaking of busts, here's a list of some of the biggest busts in the NFL.