- George H.W. Bush (The first Bush) was in the Oval Office.
- The original "Beauty and the Beast" was in theaters.
- "Love Will Never Do" by Janet Jackson was topping the charts.
- The SNES was being released to the general public (SIX Nintendo consoles were released during this run, including the Switch).
- The Detroit Lions made their only NFC Championship appearance, getting thwomped by the Washington Redskins, 41-10. This was also the last season the Lions won a playoff game (Cowboys by a score of 38-6).
- The Gulf War was coming to an end.
A lot has happened since the Red Wings last missed the postseason, as you can tell.