Saturday, June 4, 2016

The Greatest

            Yesterday, a legend was taken away from us. Muhammad Ali, a boxing champion and outstanding wordsmith, passed away from complications of Parkinson's Disease. An outspoken man competitively and even politically, Ali always made his presence felt. He exuded confidence whenever he spoke, proving his skill in the ring. This led to winning 56 of 61 bouts in his professional career, including 37 knockouts. He also introduced the concept of "trash-talking", a concept where he talked down to his opponents. This would be adopted by athletes like Shaquille O'Neal and Richard Sherman. He's even won Olympic gold, winning at the 1960 Games in Rome.
            Here's a look at some of his most famous quotes and moments.

  • "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."
  • "He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life."
  • "The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
  • "Service to others is the rent you pay here on earth."
  • "I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was."
  • "The man who has no imagination has no wings."
  • "I know where I'm going to be and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want."
  • "It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe."


No comments:

Post a Comment