- Manti T'eo and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish tore up the college football landscape, en route to a BCS Championship matchup with the defending champion Crimson Tide of Alabama.
- The Los Angeles Lakers fired their head coach Mike Brown after a 1-4 start, in spite of acquiring both Steve Nash and Dwight Howard in the offseason. They're currently 15-17 through 32 games.
- Barack Obama was re-elected the President of the United States.
- A fiscal cliff deal was reached, which includes an 2% tax increase for certain taxes (Social Security goes up from 4.2% to 6.2%)
- Former Heisman winner RGIII led the Washington Redskins to their first home playoff game since 1999, finishing with a 10-6 and an NFC East crown.
- The New Jersey Nets moved to Brooklyn and fired their head coach Avery Johnson during the season.
- The San Francisco Giants swept the Detroit Tigers 4-0 to win the World Series.
- The NFL's replacement referees caused an array of mistakes and errors through the first three weeks of the NFL regular season.
- Paul Taglibue reversed the ruling in the Bountygate scandal, overturning the suspensions of the players involved.
- Everyone was (and still is) doing the "Gangnam Style" as it became the first Youtube video to reach a billion hits.
- David Beckham won the MLS Cup in his last season with the Los Angeles Galaxy.
Sunday, January 6, 2013
Noteworthy Things That Happened During the NHL Lockout
So the NHL lockout has FINALLY ended as both the NHL and the union have reached a tentative agreement this morning. However, the damage to the 2012-2013 season has already been done. Starting from September 15th of 2012 to January 6th of 2013 (113 days), the NHL has cancelled a total of 625 games through January 14th, 2013. This includes the Winter Classic at the Big House in Ann Arbor on January 1st and the 2013 All-Star Game. So what went on during this time span? Well...