Friday, June 29, 2012

My Favorite Sports Video Games

     I did a blog about a month ago in which I shared my eight favorite sports films. I'm sitting at home, playing Mario Golf on my N64. That list of sports films just suddenly popped into my mind. That's when I decided, "Why not comprise a list of my favorite sports video games?" So here it is (albeit the list is a bit short), my favorite sports video games starting with:

  1. Mario Golf (N64 and GBC): Mario unleashes his inner Tiger Woods as he hits the links alongside Peach, Luigi, Yoshi, Wario and Bowser. You can use the Transfer Pak to play your GBC character on the N64 version. There are six courses and there's even mini-putt.
  2. NFL Blitz: Arcade-style football, attractive women on the loading screen, what more could you ask for? It's one of the few games where you can get away with late hits.
  3. Ken Griffey Jrs' Slugfest (N64): Ken Griffey Jr. was one of my favorite baseball players growing up and this game illustrates why. Great commentary from the late Dave Niehaus, nice controls and a terrific season mode make this game an instant classic in my book.
  4. Mario Superstar Baseball (GC): The only baseball game where you can use a boxing glove for a bat. Has rivalry match-ups, a "toy field" and its own season mode where you can pick up players after you win.
  5. WWE Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain (PS2): Technically, pro wrestling is more along the lines of entertainment than sport. But I'll consider it the latter just for today. There's Create-a-wrestler (You can create a Hulk Hogan-esque character on here), plus the action isn't so PG like today's WWE.

No comments:

Post a Comment